17 January 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

One of the things that I miss most since I've been here is football -- and no, I don't mean soccer. I mean football, the great American sport of pigskin wrestling. The rules are barely understood here, and it is certainly not followed. I have a lot of wonderful memories of football Sundays in my house. My mom would always cook something wonderfully sinful, like hot wings or this cheesy crab dip that I love. The family would always gather in their pajamas to watch the Bears, and there was usually a roaring fire in the fireplace. Yesterday was of course a big game for the Bears, so it was especially bittersweet that I couldn't be at home to watch them win.

I don't think it's a secret that I love all things related to celebrities. Right after I check my email and facebook, I immediately check people.com and perez. I'm not at all ashamed of my guiltless pleasure. It's a wonderful escape and form of entertainment. Anyways, this is why I absolutely adore awards shows. When it gets to the season, I love the announcements of nominations, the endless interviews that follow, and then the elegant culmination. I watch each awards show from beginning to end, waiting for that one memorable speech from the night or gorgeous dress that stood out from all the rest. One other thing that I love about the Golden Globes? If I'm home, I tend to watch with my mom. We sit and watch the show, commenting on the evening as it passes. Last night, I couldn't even watch the show live. I'll save the all-nighter for the Oscars.

On a much less trifling note, we had a bit of a fright in the Giertych home this week. It always sucks to be away from home, but this past week especially sucked when I got a call from my older brother Jon informing me that my younger brother, Mark, was in the hospital with appendicitis. His appendix was removed by the end of the day. As my parents were waiting at the hospital, I was waiting by my phone for an update. With the time difference and difficulty to make international calls outside home, this was that much more difficult.

In other news, classes began last week. Already I am swamped with work, so it seems that I will be spending all of my non-class time either in the library or in a cafe reading. Just for today I had to read two novels. Needless to say, I spent 95% of the weekend reading. A lot of work, but I love it all the same.

As a quick note to end this short post, I leave you with this:

Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment